One of the projects that occupied my bench for a short while last year was a set of speakers. I decided that after many years of headphone music it was time for a stereo system. There are beautiful speaker kits around that produce a nice sound for (relatively) little money, so I opted for Udo Wohlgemuth's SB18 kit. The first step is to build the cases from some MDF:


Some veneer to make them look nice. This was my first veneer job every. 19 years ago when I lived with my grandmother for a few months I came across a roll of rubberized paper tape and had no clue what this was. Now I know it's veneer tape and used for seaming veneer. Definitely a learning experience!


After gluing the veneer, I cut the holes for the drivers and connectors, and hot-glued the audio crossover into the case:


The finished speakers now live on my compressor enclosure in the kitchen and are driven by a tiny TA2024C tripath amplifier I bought from China for 30 bucks. The audio signal comes from my router which actually is a single board computer running Linux. Like this I can play all my music using my laptop, my phone, etc. Nice.


About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Hendrik Hoeth published on December 18, 2012 9:26 PM.

Still alive ... was the previous entry in this blog.

Shop vac cyclone separator is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.